Plumtree Town is usually referred to as “KuTitji” which means a railway station.
The evolution of Plumtree town council can be traced back from 1897 where it started operating as a railway station. That was the period when the railway line to Bulawayo was being constructed.
Like the three other railway stations between Plumtree and Bulawayo, a tree was chosen for the name of the place. Plumtree Town mushroomed as a semi-permanent outpost of early white settlers developing into alternative rail route of supplies between South Africa, Botswana, and Bulawayo.
Increased trade and rail activity gradually transformed what was primarily a transit port into an established community that experienced population growth, tax offices, administration structures, schools and farmers’ club.
The town board was under Bulilimamangwe district council until it was granted a town status in 2002, out of a decision by government to split what was then considered to be too expansive and administratively cumbersome a district: into 3 independent administrative authorities – Bulilima R.D.C; Mangwe RDC; and Plumtree Town Council.